February – if you’re slowly venturing out of your January hibernation and looking to reacquaint yourself with the wider world, then check out our pick of what’s on in Amsterdam this month.
If you’re loved up, read up on some of the cute couple-friendly activities in honour of Valentines day. And if you’re young, free and single, let Amsterdam be your love – there’s plenty to enjoy.
1. One of the best ways to see Amsterdam is by boat. And during February, when Romance is in the air, you can jump on one of the city’s ‘Love boats’ – cruise the canals, take in the old world charm and enjoying dinner and drinks for two. Check out the I amsterdam guide to canal cruises for more info.
2. Sometimes it takes the work of a talented artist to change our perspective on the everyday. Iconic Dutch photographer is one of those artists. His work features some of the most interesting characters on the city streets. You can check out ‘Camera in Love’ at Stedelijk Museum throughout February.
3. If your love has a sweet spot for Chocolate then the Chocoa Festival could be the perfect romantic outing. The Beurs van Berlage in is hosting this delectable festival promoting sustainable and good quality chocolate – includes workshops and tastings. The festival is running from 22-26 Feb 2017.
Thinking about London instead? Check out our guide to February events in The Big Smoke
4. Where tradition and technology come together. In our beloved neighbourhood of Amsterdam Noord, you can come and see the construction of a canal house using 3D printing techniques and sustainable materials. Held the first Wednesday of every month at 3pm (€7.50) Asterweg 49, 1031 HM. Check out the website at 3dprintcanalhouse.com
5. The days of fairy tale romances don’t have to be over. Whisk your fair maiden (or prince!) away to the enchanting Amsterdam Castle Muiderslot, which lies just to the East of Amsterdam in Muiden. The castle dates back to 1280 and you’ll find all the trappings of a great story book – turrets, a moat, a drawbridge, and gorgeous landscapes gardens.
6. If you’re on a budget but are keen to partake in some of the wealth of culture that Amsterdam has to offer, why not head along to one of the free lunchtime concerts in the foyer of the Dutch National Opera and Ballet. Concerts are held on the Concerts on 7/14/21/28 of February.
7. The Neighbourhood Food Market at Westergasfabriek offers a platform for innovative food makers. Head along to sample delicious food from all around the world. Vintage sellers also set up if you’re in the market for a retro bargain.
8. For a classy, but romantic evening of Jazz, The North Sea Jazz Club is a great bet. Hosting an incredible variety of jazz, funk, world and soul music every weekend – it’s the perfect spot to enjoy an old fashioned and while the night away with your love. Every weekend at Westergasfabriek you can enjoy their ‘Dinerconcert & Menu’ which inludes a 3 course meal by the in-house chef.
9. Pllek is one of our lovely neighbours in Amsterdam Noord. The multifunctional venue offers dinner, events, screenings and more. Every Sunday, it’s Yoga with a view! (indoors on cold / winter days, outside on the deck in the summer). Sitting on the edge of the River IJ shore, it’s the perfect spot to exhale away the stresses of the week. The classes mix different styles and involve meditation, stretching and a focus on breathing. € 12,00 per class.
10. If you’re veering away from the more traditional Valentine’s Day activities, then you might be well positioned to head along to the Touché Amoré gig at Melkweg. Easy-listening this aint, but with their emotionally raw sound, combined with a jangly post-hardcore vibe, this band have got a lot to offer the astute music lover (or lovers!)