Whilst travel remains unchanged until 31st December 2020, we know that many of you are beginning to look ahead to exciting global adventures for 2021 and beyond. Naturally, we know that you may be wondering: how will Brexit affect my holiday? Especially after all of the contrasting information and #FakeNews online. You’re only human.

Unless your trip is after 31st December 2020, then you haven’t got much to worry about. The majority of changes will only take effect after the transition period, with most changes coming into play on 1st January 2021.

To settle your qualms, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions about travelling after the transition period.

Travelling to the EU after Brexit

Travelling to the EU after Brexit

Image credit: Unsplash

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

Tourists will be able to visit EU countries for up to 90 days in any 180 day period without a visa after the transition period. However, during this time tourists are not permitted to work or study.

If you are travelling for more than 90 days, you must check each country’s travel advice page for more information about how to get a visa or permit.

Travel to and from the Republic of Ireland will remain unaffected. British and Irish citizens will still be able to travel freeling within the Common Travel Area, which is comprised of the UK, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

You will also be able to work in Ireland in the same way as before.

Will EU passports be valid after Brexit?

Yes, your EU passport will still be valid if you are travelling from 1st January 2021. However, you must have at least 6 months left and the passport must be less than 10 years old.

If your passport does not have 6 months left or is more than 10 years old, you will need to renew your passport to travel to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

What happens to my EHIC card after Brexit?

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid until 31st December 2020. Thereafter, this does not cover you for healthcare in the EU. As of 1st January 2021, travellers must purchase appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover, should the worst happen.

Clink recommends: ensure you get travel insurance that also covers pre-existing medical conditions, as many travel insurance policies do not.

Will free mobile roaming end after Brexit?

Unfortunately, yes. We know, it’s a low blow.

As of 1st January 2021, the guarantee of free roaming throughout the EU and EEA countries will come to an end. We recommend that you check roaming charges with your phone operator, as many tariffs include international roaming.

However, fear not. A new law means that you are protected from getting data charges abroad that exceed £45.00. You will have to opt-in to exceed this limit to continue using the internet abroad.

Can I drive in the EU after Brexit?

Yes, you are still able to travel, but may need an international driving permit (IDP) in some countries. If you are taking your own vehicle, you may also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance.

Taking a solo trip to Amsterdam? Check out our top 10 things to do alone in Amsterdam.

Travelling to the UK after Brexit

London Travel after Brexit

Image credit: Unsplash

Can I travel to the UK with an ID card after Brexit?

The UK may stop accepting national ID cards for entry to the UK for EEA and Swiss citizens after 2020. The UK government will update travellers in advance to allow travellers to plan their trips in good time.

Do I need a visa to travel to the UK after Brexit?

As it stands, no. The EU will provide visa-free travel for UK tourists (for up to 90 days) as long as the UK allows EU citizens to do so too.

If this is agreed, tourists will be able to visit EU countries for up to 90 days in any 180 day period without a visa after the transition period. However, during this time tourists are not permitted to work or study.

Is my healthcare covered in the UK after Brexit?

Until 31st December 2020, residents of the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are covered by European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC). Thereafter, the government advises travellers to the UK to take out travel insurance that covers healthcare, including pre-existing medical conditions.

Planned treatment is not covered by your EHIC. You will be charged for treatment if you do not have valid documentation.

Can I drive in the UK after Brexit?

Yes, visitors without a UK driving licence are able to drive in the UK and do not need an international driving permit (IDP).

If your vehicle is insured within the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia or Switzerland, you do not need a green card, but must present valid proof of insurance when asked by law enforcement.

Should I book a holiday for after Brexit?

Yes, absolutely. Don’t let Brexit hinder your desire to travel the world. Bar a few extra documents, travelling will be much the same as before. We advise that travellers keep up to date with the latest changes using the gov.uk website or contacting their travel provider for more information.

Now you’re armed with all of the information you need about travelling after Brexit – let’s go exploring! Book a trip to London or Amsterdam and stay at our Clink78, Clink261 or ClinkNOORD hostels!

*Information source: gov.uk. Information correct at the time of publishing.