Guest Services Manager
The services overseen by the Guest Services Manager form the essence of our guests’ experience. Combining Front Office, Bar and Events it provides everything needed to ensure guests can create unique, lasting memories of their stay in London. They will also provide them with a warm, welcoming and secure experience whilst at the hostels and ensure the business maintains commercial success through ancillary revenue streams.
- Have overall responsibility for Front of House including Front Office/Reception, Security, Bar and the Hostel Events programme including strategy and planning as well as execution for everything concerning the FOH & Bar departments.
- Ensure the effective and smooth running of the departments in both London hostels, both during the day and at night as this department covers 24 hours.
- Provide an amazing experience for our guests from the first point of contact to the last and maximize ancillary sales where possible and complimentary.
- Ensure the highest level and quality of safety and security for our guests and colleagues. Including ensuring appropriate levels of Security team, Fire Wardens and First Aiders on shifts with staff having received appropriate, regular training.
- Champion the Clink values: Our Guests, In Tune, Dedication & Difference
- Take ownership of reputation management, ensure the team promote the completion of Feedback Surveys & Reviews and reply, action and report on trends as appropriate
- Being a Head of Department, contribute to general hostel management and duty management teams. Supporting a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation ensuring that the buildings are always looking their best, the team are always effective and standards are maintained across all departments, at all times.
- Differentiate between individual travelers and groups and ensure the experience is appropriate and amazing for each.
- Ensure profitability and success of all ancillary revenue streams including, Bar, Food, Tickets, Tours, Vending, TravelSHOP items.
- Minimise team downtime by effective resource management and leadership/supervision
- Maintain a close and positive relationship and minimize any negative impact of the hostel with the neighbours, council, police and other stakeholders.
Reception & Security
- Maintain regular contact with the GM in relation to FOH matters i.e. through weekly management meetings
- Maintain daily contact with Team Leaders and team in both Clink78 and Clink261 as well as holding regular team leader meetings.
- Work a minimum of 1/2 day per week in Clink261
- Ensure staff maximizes sales in all department.
- Promote the TravelShop as it is key to Guest Experience
- Ensure staff provide guests with relevant and up to date information on ‘hot spots’ i.e. entertainment, cultural and sporting venues and events etc. as well as ensuring their local knowledge is current and shared.
- Ensure staff, especially security staff’ keep noise levels to a minimum inside and outside the hostel
- Ensure daily reports are filled in by relevant staff and are dealt with as appropriate
- Ensure all software and systems are operating and effectively and efficiently manage the situation if they are not
- Ensure security follow Company policies and procedures and behave in line with legal requirements
- Ensure common areas of hostel are checked and any presentation/cleanliness/maintenance issues corrected immediately or escalated as appropriate.
- Bring the ‘In Tune’ value to life by knowing what is happening in house, locally and in London
Bar & Events
- Managing and maintaining a well-run, clean and fun bar
- Coordinating, running and marketing entertainment for the bar 7 nights per week and delegating responsibilities to the team
- Promote the licensing objectives and ensure staff operate in line with the law and are aware of relevant legislation
- Ensure the bar and events programme has an offering for all segments of guests
- Maximising sales through events and products to achieve targets
- Managing stock eg. ordering or investigating any shortages
- Minimising wastage and losses in the department and controlling costs to budgets
- Ensuring excellent levels of hygiene, food safety and cleanliness at all times
Sales and Marketing
- Ensure all staff are aware of any special offers, packages or changes in rates which are due to take place
- Maximise bookings and always offer room type alternatives where problems arise
- Maintain a good working relationship with reservations team, marketing team, suppliers, Tour Operators and groups
- Promote the bar and all in-house facilities at all times, making sure they and their team know the calendar of events
- Induct and train staff into their roles, in accordance with the Company values, standards and requirements
- Train and develop FOH staff to ensure the best guest experience (the list is non-exhaustive) whilst always monitoring their success and development
·Customer services (etiquette for face to face, phone and email etc.)
·Sales (up selling)
·Software and systems
·Running Events programme
·Health and safety
- Develop and implement staff rotas on a monthly basis (including scheduled breaks) ensuring all areas, at all locations are covered effectively and efficiently at all times
- Recruit new staff as and when required, liaising with the GM
- Ensure that SOPs are regularly updated when procedures change and that staff are fully familiar with current procedures at all times
- Communicate effectively with all staff and other departments through weekly and monthly meetings
- Encourage cross-departmental support i.e. during down time helping other departments
- Responsible for all departmental staff matters I,e, performance, absence, performance & development reviews and behavior and ensure these are dealt with in line with Company requirements with support from HR advisors and GM.
- Nurture and develop talent and provide opportunities for progression
- Ensure correct processes are followed in line with Company procedures and employment legislation
- Manage time efficiently in order that all duties are completed within a reasonable timeframe
- Ensure that all health and safety procedures are followed in accordance with Clink and legal health and safety requirement
- Ensure that any guest complaints or issues are dealt with to completion in a timely manner, as well as being tracked and trends identified and shared.
- Responsible for stock management and control, defining and ensuring that ordering processes and all other stock associated admin is carried out effectively with minimal loss.
- Cash handling & reporting
- Responsible for monthly staff rotas and ensuring they are accurately maintained month by month
- Ensure all handover documents are completed effectively, both for internal handovers and cross-departmental information sharing
- Ensure all reports are developed and acted upon in a timely and appropriate fashion (i.e. till reports, ratings, PMS, POS, Stock, KPIs, complaints and feedback)
- Overall responsibility for cash handling and floats across departments and ensuring staff are able to correctly cash up at the end of their shifts as well as investigating any discrepancies, emptying vending machines and banking as appropriate.
- Ensure all communications i.e. emails, phones, meetings etc. are dealt with in line with Clink standards and requirements in a timely manner
- Ensure all signage & marketing materials in the London properties is correct and up to date
This is a specification of the knowledge (qualifications, experience), skills, and behaviours that are required to effectively carry out the responsibilities of the role (as outlined in the job description) and forms the basis for selecting a candidate
e.g. qualifications, experience
- Proven experience in a similar role in a Hospitality environment
- Proven experience managing and leading teams of people
- Experience in a highly busy environment
- Excellent knowledge of travel and tourism operations.
- Experience carrying out administrative duties of hostel, hotel or leisure environment.
- Cash handling and stock management experience
- Experience working within business budgets and KPIs
- Educated to degree or equivalent within a relevant subject i.e. Travel and Tourism
- An excellent understanding of the hostel industry
- Experience staying in backpacker hostels
- First Aid training
- Personal License Holder
- Experience of working in a youth or student accommodation provider in a client facing position
- Knowledge of appropriate PMS, POS, Operations and Stock Management systems,
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent multi-tasking and prioritising skills
- Methodical and systematic approach
- Ability to be both proactive and reactive
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Able to motivate team to deliver on targets
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- Ability to work using own initiative
- Good level of English language –written and spoken
- Fluency in more than one European language
- Positive·Creative·Proactive and tenacious
- Self manageable
- Team spirit
- Fun and responsive personality
- Champions change and continuous improvement.
- Can take direct leadership
- Aims to exceed expectations
- Ability to be on call and attend work for any out of hours emergencies related to the good running of the hostel