Opening for the first time this year is the fantastic Winterville in Victoria Park. Known as the wonderland of the east, Winterville boasts that it is going to be the best Christmas village in all of London, and, after visiting, we are happy to confirm you will not be disappointed.
What Attractions are Available?
Winterville has plenty of great attractions spread out through the village to keep visitors of all ages entertained for hours, giving Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland a run for its money. Attractions include:
- An Ice Rink: Yes, London is full of amazing ice rinks, but Winterville’s is something entirely different. As well as being able to skate around the beautiful Victoria Park, you can also hire out professional cameras to catch your magic moments or your tumbles while on the ice.
- A Spiegeltent: You may be asking yourself ‘what is a Spiegeltent?’ A Spiegeltent, as it was originally called in Holland, is a travelling dance tent with mirrored walls. While it is at Winterville, there will be many activities, club nights and shows held within for all to enjoy.
- A Roller Disco: This 1980s style roller disco is a blast from the past, and whether you have the skills or can’t even stand up straight, there will be experienced skaters on hand to help out! The Roller Disco will host a variety of club nights with local London DJs pumping out the best roller tunes.
- A Fairground: Winterville also has its very own fairground with a fantastic variety of rides, including family favourites such as the waltzers, bumper cars and some new, exciting rides from Europe.
- A Wall of Death: That’s right, a wall of death! Watch as professional stunt men put their lives at risk for your entertainment with death defying stunts using a variety of motorbikes in a circular wall of death. You will not believe what these guys get up to, don’t miss your one chance to see this unique show!
- Horse and Carriage Rides: Take a horse drawn carriage around the park and Winterville village for just £5 per person! This amazing offer will take you around the village and you even get the chance to pet the horses. If you are looking to splash out, why not opt for a more romantic ride around the village and park for around £40 per carriage? Rides can be booked on Winterville’s website where you can also discuss which route you would prefer take.
- A Ferris wheel: For a bird’s eye view of Winterville and the surrounding area of East London, hop on the amazing Bavarian style Ferris wheel. The stunning views of the whole park whilst in this beautifully lit Ferris wheel will leave you breathless.
- A Christmas Market: Like most winter/Christmas villages, Winterville has its very own Christmas market that is perfect for picking up those last minute gifts or stocking fillers. Feel engrossed within Scandinavian culture with Winterville’s gorgeous wooden huts and stalls set up throughout the park. Don’t forget to bring some extra cash for this one of a kind market.
- Music & Clubs: Winterville holds a variety of club nights throughout the whole of December. Get your skates on and enjoy the few special nights that are being held in the Roller Disco every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Alternatively, make sure you have been practicing your dance moves ready to join in the fun in the Spiegeltent for their special club nights every Friday and Saturday.
- Comedy, Cabaret and Panto: Adding to the never ending list of amazing activities and events available at Winterville, the line-up of fantastic comedy shows, cabarets and pantomimes on offer throughout December are guaranteed to wow.
The Spiegeltent will host a large variety of shows including Sh*t-Faced Shakespeare, CIRQUE DU CABARET and TimeOut’s Xmas Starty. For an unforgettable evening in a Fairy Grotto, head down to the Spiegeltent every Sunday in December for the best and most outrageous shows – warning, these shows aren’t for the easily offended.
This year’s Panto at Winterville is a re-imagined version of Robin Hood which will be showing every weekday night in December, except Christmas Day.
- Food: Winterville offers some of the most delicious food and drinks to keep you going. If you’re looking for vegetarian, vegan or gluten free treats, we would suggest trying the Wholefood Heaven wagon – an amazing London street food trader. Looking for meat? Head over to Smokestak for, in our opinion, the finest pulled pork and brisket that you can find in all of London.
There will also be a very large food hall with plenty of London’s favourite food traders to choose from, including Bad Brownie, a favourite here at Clink Hostels. After all, who doesn’t enjoy totally indulgent, delicious, gooey brownies? Want something different, try their salted caramel and BACON brownie, they’re a taste sensation!
- Drink: Join the locals in Winterville’s very own log cabin pub, Bar Humbug, and enjoy a cosy evening with all your favourite pub drinks. If that’s not your thing, head over to one of London’s local craft ale bars who will be offering up some of the best ales, brewed both locally and worldwide.
Looking for something to keep you warm in the winter temperatures? Winterville’s, The Hot Cider Bar, has a variety of flavoured ciders from the West Country, including our favourite – Hot Buttered Rum Cider.
Winterville is only a 30 minute journey from both Clink78 and Clink261! All you need to do is take the Victoria Line (Light Blue) going north from Kings Cross Station to Highbury and Islington, hop onto the Overground Line (Orange) to Hackney Wick and take a short walk to Victoria Park, where Winterville is held.
Images are all credited to Winterville.